We often hear about the "Christian Right," or "Conservative Christians." Yet, if you think about it, Jesus was the original liberal.  He cared about motives more than the deeds themselves (Matthew 23:5 & Mark 12:41-43) and more about compassion than adhering to rules (Luke 6:1-11 & Luke 13:10-17). This blog will reflect liberal Christian values of compassion, tolerance, mercy, charity, a thirst for knowledge & understanding, and, above all, love.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Kicking Things Off

-
My James Kiester, and I'm a liberal Christian. Being a Christian, I believe God walked the Earth as Christ to make our redemption possible.

That being said, I'm a progressive thinker and can respect, even be friends with, people of all faiths/beliefs as long as they're kind and down to Earth.

To keep myself centered and in tune with the Holy Spirit I've made a daily habit of reading the Bible and praying.  I'm currently reading the Apocryphal books, which are a collection of Scriptures which didn't make the cut when the canonized Bibles was compiled.  Whether or not they're accepted by mainstream churches, I'm finding they add a kind of perspective to the study of the Bible.

My understanding of Scripture is being further heightened by my participation in a bi-weekly Bible study through the Hillsdale Community Church - United Church of Christ.  Because of certain physical challenges, I find it hard to attend church in person.  Fortunately, Windermere Union Church United Church of Christ puts their sermons online, allowing me to partake of God's word each Sunday.

Jesus was, in my opinion, the original liberal.  He cared about motives than deeds (Matthew 23:5) and more about compassion than adhering to rules (Luke 13:10-17 & Luke 6:1-11).  I already have a food blog and a literature/current events blog, which I maintain on a regular basis.  Yet, I find myself thinking about matters of a spiritual nature more and more these days.  Thus, I intend to use this blog to air those thoughts and feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment