We often hear about the "Christian Right," or "Conservative Christians." Yet, if you think about it, Jesus was the original liberal.  He cared about motives more than the deeds themselves (Matthew 23:5 & Mark 12:41-43) and more about compassion than adhering to rules (Luke 6:1-11 & Luke 13:10-17). This blog will reflect liberal Christian values of compassion, tolerance, mercy, charity, a thirst for knowledge & understanding, and, above all, love.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Repenting Is Hard, Not Repenting Is Harder

-
"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.” ~ Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

With tongue in cheek, I've cited this quotation multiple times in my life. It usually comes up just as I'm about to do something which I know I shouldn't do. I say the line, give a chuckle, and commit the sin in question. Besides I'm a Christian, God will forgive me.

Er, it's a bad attitude, but an easy trap to fall into. It is. Left to my own devices, I can use what I know to justify almost anything. I figure if I'm not hurting anyone I can look at that picture or hang in that chat room. No harm no foul, right?

The problem is that deep down I know I'm doing something contrary to the will of God. When I commit the same sin over and over again, asking for forgiveness each time, repentance becomes a lie. It becomes harder to pray. When that happens, the sin becomes a wedge between me and God.

I'm not sure where exactly I thought I was going with this blog. I do know that I will probably always struggle with temptation. Perhaps the trick is to focus on other things and replace sinful habits with constructive pursuits. Easier said than done, I know, but I think it's worth the effort. There is no worse feeling than being ashamed to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment