We often hear about the "Christian Right," or "Conservative Christians." Yet, if you think about it, Jesus was the original liberal.  He cared about motives more than the deeds themselves (Matthew 23:5 & Mark 12:41-43) and more about compassion than adhering to rules (Luke 6:1-11 & Luke 13:10-17). This blog will reflect liberal Christian values of compassion, tolerance, mercy, charity, a thirst for knowledge & understanding, and, above all, love.

Monday, December 23, 2019

The Beauty Of Christmas

-
Art by Norman Rockwell circa 1950
Well, I have fallen a bit behind on my blogging. It’s not that I’m short of opinions. I could write about the impeachment of the president on my political blog, Star Wars mania on my pop culture fan blog, or KFC’s spicy chicken & waffles on my food blog. However, at this time of year buying toys for my nephews and writing cards to those who bring me joy year ‘round simply had to come first.

Even when I called myself agnostic, rather than Christian, I’ve made Christmas a priority. Yes, it’s important to remember and honor the birth of our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ. Christmas gives us an opportunity to focus on Christ and renew our relationship with Him.

That being said, the season holds something for believers and non-believer alike. The way I see it, Christmas is an opportunity to give back to those around us. We all have people who make our lives better. Yet, if we start handing out touching cards and little presents on May 1st or June 5th people start peering at us out of one eye, as if there's something wrong with us.

Christmas is a socially acceptable excuse to show extra kindness and gratitude. While it’s, arguably, sad that we need such an excuse, I think it’s fanatic that we have one. Christmas is a time to celebrate the birth of Christ, and also to celebrate each other; to do for each other. That's the beauty of Christmas, at least it is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment