We often hear about the "Christian Right," or "Conservative Christians." Yet, if you think about it, Jesus was the original liberal.  He cared about motives more than the deeds themselves (Matthew 23:5 & Mark 12:41-43) and more about compassion than adhering to rules (Luke 6:1-11 & Luke 13:10-17). This blog will reflect liberal Christian values of compassion, tolerance, mercy, charity, a thirst for knowledge & understanding, and, above all, love.

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Giving Thanks

 -

Oh come, let us sing to the Lord;
let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!
Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving;
let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!
~ Psalm 95: 1-2

I pray a lot.  I pray when I wake up.  I pray when I boot my computer up each morning, revealing a picture of Christ displayed on my desktop's wallpaper.  I pray when a friend tells me of their struggles.  And, I pray before I go to sleep at night. 

During these prayers, I always dedicate a line to thanking God for all He's done for me and all the good people He's put into my life.  

I say the line every time.  The problem was, I was regurgitating the line, somewhere in the middle of a laundry-list of requests, without really thinking about the line.  It was a line, but I wasn’t feeling the thanks.

Saying, "thank you," without feeling gratitude is hollow, just empty words.  

Thanksgiving is upon us; a holiday based on giving thanks.  I think it may be a good time to a prayer, purely of thanks, to my daily repertoire. 

My Father in Heaven, thank You for all You've done for me throughout my life and all good people You've put into my life. I say thank You in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment