We often hear about the "Christian Right," or "Conservative Christians." Yet, if you think about it, Jesus was the original liberal.  He cared about motives more than the deeds themselves (Matthew 23:5 & Mark 12:41-43) and more about compassion than adhering to rules (Luke 6:1-11 & Luke 13:10-17). This blog will reflect liberal Christian values of compassion, tolerance, mercy, charity, a thirst for knowledge & understanding, and, above all, love.

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Eggs And Scorpions

 -

"And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.  What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?  If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” ~ Luke 11:9-11

|Subject: Luke 11:9-11 | Rights to PNGs secured from FAVPNG Premium |
We're not supposed to hate parts of the Holy Bible.  I mean, Job is a bit of a  downer for a sunny Sunday afternoon and Numbers is down right boring.  Still, it's the word of God, so we're supposed to find value in every part of it. 

When I was little I was a good Mormon boy.  The passage of Luke in question strongly suggests, if not outright says, if you go to God, in the name of Jesus, He will give you what you ask for.  Every night I'd ask God to give me the ability to walk, and every morning I'd wake up disabled with Cerebral Palsy.  Where were my eggs. 

Life happened, I fell away, dabbled in agnosticism,  humanism, WICCA, and eventually circled back to Christianity minus the Mormonism.  When I came back Luke 11:9-11 was there waiting for me with a wave and a, "Hi pal."

I didn't know what to do with it.  I was 40, and I understood different writers wrote the books of the Holy Bible from different points of view.  It was possible that the writer of Luke/Acts snuck that in there in order to attract people to Christianity.  Yet, the part of me that prayed everyday wasn't completely comfortable writing it off as PR spin.

In the words of Old Blue Eyes, "...I'm in the autumn of the year, and now I think of my life as vintage wine from fine old keg..."  I realize that everything good in my life was, in no small part, thanks to the good people in my life.  I've been surrounded by truly good people who have loved and cared for me in countless ways.  They’re my eggs.  They’re my blessings. 

Sometimes we have to look back at a situation, in this case a life, before we can recognize God's handiwork.  Yet, I think the proverbial eggs are always there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment